Sunday, March 4, 2012

How do I simulate a LAN network for an old computer game?

A friend and I want to play an old computer game that only supports an IPX connection for mutiplayer. We don't have a connection but we do have the internet and would like to play over the internet.How do I simulate a LAN network for an old computer game?
DosBox might be a good choice with its IPX Networking Emulation support. This piece of software can be tricky to initially setup, but is worth it to play older games (Such as my Quest for Glory series). Follow the "Basic Setup and Installation" in the FAQ, then ask around in the forums for how to setup a Virtual IPX connection, if it isn't already there.



Found a guide to multiplayer games with DosBox detailing info on commands for IPX Networking Emulation. Placed in sources.How do I simulate a LAN network for an old computer game?
Justin, the DosBox actually is basically Dos itself, the main parts that I use it for are the sound card capability and slowing the game down to run as it should. I don't think it takes that much power to use DosBox, so you may to at least attempt it.

Report Abuse

How do I simulate a LAN network for an old computer game?
Though if that doesn't work, there is a second option. PPTP on a Virtual Private Network over the internet with the stronger of the two PCs acting as a server. Ask about how to setup a IPX Virtual Network with PPTP.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment